Monday 30 July 2012

Stylesight Internship Day 1

7am. This is definitely the earliest that I've had to get up since 6th form and even then 7am was a rarity. The sunlight is streaming through the curtains on an abnormally sunny day in Britain (even if it is July) and all I want to do is snuggle back under my sleeping bag and go back to sleep on my brothers sofa... the glamorous life of an intern!


Today is my first day interning at online trend forecasting and analysis company, Stylesight. I couldn't have picked a worse week to start really with the London Olympics literally just getting underway. A quick check in the Metro also told me that Old Street was going to be 'exceptionally busy' today which was something to look forward to! But the sun is shining and my hair decided to be good today so I had nothing to really complain about.
As I rummaged through my mini suitcase (which I had to forcibly sit on to close) I began to wish I'd done what I always say 'I'll do next time' and chosen my outfits for the week beforehand. Who would have thought that packing for 3 days would be so difficult? I've ended up bringing about 10 different outfits for all weather eventualities and I can guarantee that I will still make a de-tour to Oxford Circus on the way home to see if Topshop can entice me into buying anything new.
For my first day outfit I opted for a maxi skirt from Miss Selfridge (which I recently bought and LOVE because it can be worn with pretty much anything) and a floral top from Topshop which occasionally makes an appearance from my overcrowded wardrobe. Gave a jacket a miss because I decided to be optimistic (although I did still pack an umbrella in my bag - just in case).



The tube was surprisingly less crowded than I expected and I definitely over-estimated how long it would take me to get from Brixton to Old Street, as leaving an hour and a half before I was due to start left me with an hour to kill... Fortunately there was a Cafe Nero for me to stop off at and have my morning dose of Green Tea.
I was very glad that I had come to the Stylesight office beforehand as Old Street has about 8 different exits which can be very confusing for someone that has lived in the Midlands countryside all their life!
Zetland House was of course getting in to the Olympic spirit (like the rest of London) and there was even a huge projected TV screen in the courtyard which I'm sure I would appreciate more if I had any interest in sport... I must have looked like a lost tourist taking photo's of everything.



The Stylesight office is a very open plan, modern space with Mac computers and laptops dotted around everywhere and it is split into two halves for the forecasting teams and the marketers. As a marketing assistant I made my way to the further half and found Victoria, the Marketing Director and my senior for the next 2 months.
Friendly as always, we started by going downstairs to a small coffee shop and had a drink together while we discussed what I would actually be doing (something I was quite unaware of and still am a little to be honest).
I spent the rest of the day getting settled in at my little desk and used my time (of not really doing a lot) to take a look at the Stylesight website. I had very little prior knowledge of Stylesight if I'm being honest as the internship was awarded to me through University (yes, I actually spent first year working!!) so it was probably a good idea to see what the company actually do to give me a better understanding...
All in all it was a very chilled out first day with a visit from 'the Stylesight dog' (a Westie that did nothing but bark and growl) and I got to leave at 2.30 to "avoid tube traffic".
Hoping that the days will perhaps get a little more exciting and I will be doing something that's slightly stimulating, but how much can you expect from interning? I suppose there are worse things to do in life than make tea and coffee all day, although I don't even seem to be responsible for doing that at the moment!




No comments:

Post a Comment