Friday 6 July 2012

Company Magazine Competition

I recently got the opportunity to go down to London during Graduate Fashion Week to meet with the team at Company magazine in a bid to win a competition to guest-edit the October issue. 
I was picked as one of the 20 finalists after sending in an Autumn/Winter 2012 trend report. 
I chose to represent my trend report as a moodboard and contrasted what I feel are going to be two poignant trends - hyperculture and radical neutrality. 
I have learnt to love the mooboard after being introduced to photoshop and indesign at University (I had very little prior experience with these) and at some point will probably try and purchase the Adobe package rather than opting for the illegal download route...
So a week after I sent in my trend report I got an email back from Victoria White herself, who is the editor of Company magazine, to say I had been chosen as a finalist! And so off I went to London.
After getting past the initial dread of getting up at 8 o clock to get the train I excitedly made my way down on a ridiculously busy train where I had to stand for the entire journey, which is not so comfortable in a short dress and ankle boots. 
When I finally made it, it was all a lot less daunting than I expected and as I sat and chatted with the other finalists I felt very at ease.
The process consisted of getting into teams to create a front cover for the magazine which we did while each of us were individually interviewed by the Company team about some ideas that we had for features that could be used in the October issue.
The interview itself went well and I had pages of ideas to reel off! They particularly seemed to like one that I suggested about University street style (taken from my own experiences from being on a fashion course and seeing the competition everyday!)
Below is us all busily working away... you can see me hiding behind my hair on the far right!


 A great day and great experience. Even though they did decide to go with another candidate (the competition was strong I will admit), I will definitely be aiming towards some work experience at Company in the future and I now love the magazine even more after meeting the team!


No comments:

Post a Comment